Thursday, March 18, 2010

Bobcats Extra: Jordan wants to lead by example as Bobcats owner

After much speculation and weeks of planning, the Charlotte Bobcats are now in the hands of one Michael Jeffrey Jordan. The NBA's Board of Governors approved his purchase of the team from Bob Johnson yesterday for $250 million, after reaching a deal to buy the team last month, and now the next chapter in the history of Charlotte Bobcats Basketball has commenced and it was already commenced last night, when the Bobcats gave Jordan his first win as their new owner by defeating the Oklahoma City Thunder.

In a press conference that was held today at Time Warner Cable Arena, Johnson said that "Today the similar event you'll always remember is when Michael Jordan becomes the new majority owner of the Bobcats." says Johnson, the teams outgoing owner who founded the team back in 2003. "Michael, you got to come down to Charlotte, and I'll tell you now, it was the best decision I've ever made for the Charlotte Bobcats." Johnson said.

Jordan became a part of the Bobcats family back in 2006 and over the last couple of seasons, Jordan has made some good and bad moves, which included 3 good moves during his time, bringing in Hall of Fame Head Coach Larry Brown, trading to get Stephen Jackson and just recently, bringing in Tyrus Thomas and Theo Ratliff, and some of his bad moves included hiring Sam Vincent and drafting Adam Morrison.

In his first remarks as the team's new boss, Jordan says "I love the game of Basketball, I grew up in Wilmington, North Carolina, went to the University of North Carolina, and I basically established myself as a kid leaving home, and here I am, back home in North Carolina." says Jordan, "It's a dream come true for me. I am dedicated to do that and I am looking for any way to get it back to the way it should be."

During the first 5 years of the team's existence, the Bobcats had been somewhat cellar-dwellers, but let's fast forward to this season. Charlotte is on the verge of breaking through in the Eastern Conference playoff race as they hold on to the 6th spot in the Eastern Conference.

"I think we've made a lot of great strides, getting to the Playoffs, that's the goal, and I just want the city to experience what winning is all about." Jordan quoted, "Making the playoffs sets a certain standard. Each and every time you meet a certain plateau. Once I make the Playoffs, I want to go deep into the playoffs."


No comments: